Look for something, find something else, and realize that what you’ve found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for. - Lawrence Block

lundi, janvier 22, 2007

Hogfather (2)

This story is actually an exploration of the theme of human beliefs. But because (1) I read it a really long time ago, (2) I am not doing a PhD on Pratchett's work (yes! there are people doing it!) and (3) I cannot put my thoughts (more like feelings) into a coherent tangible paragraph, I will not try and discuss the story in any intelligent manner here.

The advances of technology, namely YouTube, are to be applauded at this point. I found most of the 4-hour show in 20 10-minute parts online and spent much of yesterday afternoon stuck in front of my computer. (Hey, I read immuno while the parts were loading ok.) Only 17 parts worked properly, so I had 170 minutes of the film in all.

It was great! Every minute of it. The computer graphics were excellent and the characters were really close to what I had imagined them to be like. I thought Susan was very well portrayed: dignified and no-nonsense. I didn't like Teatime very much though. Death was well done, but I had always thought his voice was deeper and more ominous. He SPEAKS LIKE THIS IN PRINT, see. I always feel a little bit sad for Death; he tries so hard to understand humans but he just doesn't get things. And so he is almost always very lonely.

It was mentioned that if this TV release were a success, there will be other adaptations of Pratchett's work. I am really looking forward to those! There would definitely be comparisons to Harry Potter and LOTR then, but I feel that Pratchett is in a totally different genre. The only similarity is that it's all fantasy. Pratchett's got humour and there is (most of the time) an underlying message in his stories.

Ok, rather than wasting time convincing you with my very bland writing, why don't you just pop by there nearest library or bookstore. I love all the Death stories and I like the Watch very much too. The wizards are definitely entertaining but I don't enjoy the witches at all. Take your pick!

Aucun commentaire: